Friday, September 4, 2009

Prayer

While in college, I remember having a conversation with one of my close friends about the need for prayer. “Is prayer restricted to those who acknowledge and accept the existence of a divine being? Does prayer always have to be a request? Does it always have to have a reward? Is the power of prayer directly proportional to the earnestness of ones heart or is it influenced by the number of people who voice out that same request? Is prayer personal primarily and general as a consequence or is it the other way around?” My questions have taken me through different perspectives and though much remains to be unveiled, here is what I have gathered so far.
People have wants!! PERIOD!! That is the driving force for waking up every morning. It is amazing what one is willing to do to ensure accomplishment of their desires. So for those who ask why people pray well isn’t it obvious! – People want to leave no stone unturned if it is believed to have a role in the realization of their desires. If people haven’t figured that yet, I recommend a little introspection. On the other hand, I also resent those whose definition of prayer is a string of never ending requests. I find it hilarious that a person, who is willing to believe that there is a divine being, conveniently assumes that the divine being exists merely to be used as a wish machine. I also find it difficult to comprehend that God waits for a specific magic number of prayers from a prayer group to be sent up before he considers acting on these never ending requests. A little bit naïve for my liking.  
 I do pray. I am thankful though, that I try to restrict it from being a request. Prayer is a place I go when I want clarity of mind. A place where I do not ask out of greed but a place where I seek understanding of my existence and the role I am to play. It is a place I run to when I want a break from the ruthless competition of our time, the greed, and life on the fast lane. Prayer helps me slow all dimensions of my life to examine my actions. Instead of a wish list when I pray, I like to meditate on my intentions and introspect on decisions made and those that still await me. Prayer helps me understand and accept circumstances around me and dictates my will to keep playing the game of life. It keeps me focused, balanced and true to myself. Prayer thus defined is less a noisy attempt to stuff all requests in a set time frame but more a silence that promotes listening and introspection. 
I know friends who ask why or how to pray. I don’t think there is ever a set way of praying that is applicable to all. I am sure however that if we sit quiet and take time to clear our minds of all our never ending desires, the tension and all the thoughts of tomorrow, each ones prayer will come to them. My prayer is always in silence. Look for the silence in your life amidst all the chaos and havoc around you and you will find an exercise you can never bring yourself to stop. I pray for you what I pray for me that we find the silence that resonates within us. 

“In prayer it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart”. -- John Bunyan


No comments: